Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Greatest Weapon Against Debt: Contentment


If you choose contentment with what you have, you'll likely spend less money on what you don't need but really want or you can at least delay it until you can afford to pay cash for it without harming your emergency fund.

My lists of wants are never ending.

All of my needs are met and they are not grandiose: I am very low maintenance which helps me keep up with myself (smiling).

So, that being the case, I am in no hurry to buy the wants which means I have more time for family and friends and solitude - which I regularly need in order to rejuvenate so that I can consistently continue personal productivity in society and enjoy a meaningful life.

Contentment keeps me from doing an awful lot of time-wasting activities. Those wasteful activities simultaneously insist that I use more energy than is needed to simply be content. Shopping is a wasteful activity when all of my needs are met and I haven't planned to make a significant purchase. So, I simply go straight home after work or running required errands like doctor's appointments or a drive by the post office box.

Contentment at home means I don't overclean but I do enjoy order. It permits me to relax and garden but not to the extreme. I read, read, read but not too much. Contentment means I go to bed at a reasonable hour because I've placed a priority on my wellness over projects that just don't matter as much as being well. All of these strategies help me live a balanced life that works for me: A life that is debt free (except for the mortagage) and tax free since the government hasn't come up with a scheme to tax my life when I don't use its currency. Whew! Freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment