Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Currently Reading: Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat by Naomi Moriyama

In my journey to makeover my finances and simplify my life since 2004, I also lost and have kept off about 14 pounds over the past 2 years. I did not go on a diet. I simply changed my eating habits which included eating in more than eating out. As I saved money on fewer items and more healthy food, the pounds dropped off. I added more exercise to my lifestlye to eliminate more fat and add more muscle.

This book reinforces what I organically learned on my own regarding food: Diets are out while lifestyle are changes in. I am not on a quest to live a super long life but I might as well be as healthy as possible and do what I can to sustain the life I have right now.
As I reduced my intake of junk food, I was able to cut my monthly grocery bill by about 20%. On the other hand, some of the healthy snacks I enjoy cost a bit more than the junk food. So, I just buy them less frequently.
When I take the time to address my eating habits and my relationship to food, my personal awareness increases. This self awareness directly influences my personal use of resources and contentment which are immediately connected to my relationship with money and how I spend, save, or give it away. For me, it doesn't make sense to spend exorbitant amounts of money and time to make money only to eat it up. There are bigger fish to fry and projects to do that can make a significant difference in the lives of others and my own than working to eat items that deplete me. I prefer to feel healthy. Freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment