Friday, January 2, 2009

Living Well in 2009


My new year's challenge to you is to turn off the news and read the entire book of Proverbs for the next 3 months.

Start with Proverbs 6:6-8: "Go the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest."

Please don't wait for a new president or government to change your life (they really can't). Only you have the power within you to change your life and the Bible is the most reliable and wise guide even if you don't believe in Jesus like I do. Simply put, universal laws work whether or not you fully understand or believe in them.

So, I've shown you in the photos above what $52 can put into your fridge and pantry when you buy only what is on sale: I estimate that I will be able to eat about 45 meals/servings for the next 12 days from this sale alone. (Plus, I have other food in the freezer/pantry to supplement what I just bought.) No restaurants for me for the first 2 weeks of 2009 including no fast food. Notice, I was still able to include my favorite junk food - potato chips.

With the ground turkey and turkey sausage, I will enjoy spaghetti and meatballs, hamburgers, burritos, and stand alone patties for breakfast. The turkey alone will be part of 34 meals. The pasta and sauce will provide about 20 meals with or without the meatballs. I tend to eat about 4 small meals a day or 28 meals a week. I cook several things at once and either refrigerate it or freeze it. That way, I am not cooking all week. As I pass several temptations on my drive home from work each day, I recall what's already cooked at home. So when the eateries are signaling the dollars in my wallet to stop by and spend, I tell those dollars,"Stay!" pretty much like many of you tell your dogs at home, firmly with love. Also, if friends want to get together, I have enough to share and they can command their money as well.

I have enough toothpaste to last through summer and I already had a couple of tubes in storage so I don't think I will need to buy any in 2009 at all, we'll see. Now, even when toothpaste goes on sale again, it would be wasteful for me to buy it because I already have enough. It's crucial to know when you've stored enough and stop buying. Save your money for something else or give it away to someone else who needs it.

Tomorrow, I may go my city's farmer's market for some fresh produce but I already have enough frozen for the next two weeks. The best part is that I have absolutely no pressure to visit a market for 2 weeks unless something else goes on sale that I already eat on a regular basis AND I don't already have it stored.

Praise God for the ant! Freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment