Sunday, January 11, 2009

2009 Reading List is Underway

For the past 2.5 years, I read, on average, 2-3 books a month, mostly non-fiction. (My favorite fictional writers are Walter Mosley and John Dunning: Both of whom are mystery writers of realistic fiction.) I was able to devour lengthy, thought provoking books primarily because I took a combination of train/bus to and from work. Now, that I am driving again, I am choosing to give up the weekly 7 to 10 hours of TV news, HGTV, and Food Network so that I can maintain my reading diet. I will likely watch about 2-5 hours this week and continue to rely on websites for detailed news coverage and car radio news for local highlights.

Tonight, I spent time placing books on hold via Internet through the Los Angeles County Library system. Years ago, buying books was one of my horrible, spendthrift habits. And when Amazon.com came along, I increased the purchases exponentially. Thank God, those days are long gone. I also give most of the books I buy away so that they don't clutter up the house: I no longer need several bookshelves to hold all of the books.

So, I'll try to read free of charge as much as possible in 2009 as I did in 2006-2008. Freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment