Wednesday, January 7, 2009

German Billionaire Commits Suicide


"Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless."
Ecclesiastes 5:10

The irony of the billionaire's suicide is that a resolution between his business and the banks was made two days after his death. (Read his story.)

I've heard it said in many sermons and from motivational writers that it is not how you start in life but how well you finish. This elderly man, the 5th richest person in Germany, was 74 years old. He probably would have lived at least another 20 years but became so self consumed with how the global economic meltdown affected him that he decided to take matters in his own hands by throwing himself across a railroad track.

I have nothing in common with this man but the story helps me reflect on my own life and what I believe:

My personal aim in frugal and simple living is sustainability, not hoarding to create exceptional wealth. Helping a few folks along the way throughout my life's journey because of this path I've chosen, is enough for me. I'd like to think that the authentic, daily interactions and relationships that I make time for weekly would help sustain me if my mind rebels in thoughts of suicide.

I've chosen not to spend extraordinary hours a week to work (or pay for more classes) so that I can buy/consume more stuff. I am not anxiously striving to compete and appear oh, so fabulous in what I drive, what I wear, where I live or travel. I am free to connect with everyday people whom I trust God will use to make my everyday life as meaningful as possible. I am free to grow and learn through excellent and challenging times. Most of all love comes to me when I am the company of those wishing to express it and through every breath given by my Creator. If circumstances become overbearing, I can walk away. If I lose everything, I can start over. I will certainly die one day but there's way too much living to do before that day comes. Freedom!



1 comment:

  1. Sad....there is so many wonderful things in life that have nothing to do with money, just go watch some 5 year-olds play soccer!

    ReplyDelete