Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Borrower is Slave to the Lender




"The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender." Proverbs 22:7


Even churches that claim to practice what they preach from the Bible have gotten caught up in the foreclosure debacle according to the MSNBC.com article. Fortunately, my faith in God has little to do with my perspectives of and experiences with church leadership: Over the decades, I've met and interacted with my share of ignorant spiritual leaders when it comes to very practical matters. Ironically, the teachings of the Bible are extraordinarily practical and straightforward regarding best practices for living and handling resources.

Seek God for yourself through prayer, scripture, meditation, studying and not from a church. The Christian church has nothing to do with buildings but people. It's the greatest love story of all! We could all meet in homes, at the beach, or a park and God would be just as pleased that we gathered together in His name. Sure, it's great when a church can offer various programs and ministries but not when it borrows money beyond its capacity to pay it back.

Pursuing God's best for myself in spite of many bad sermons that try to control me in how I spend my time, talent, and resources continues to liberate me in making my life work for me. Freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment